DEFENCE COMMUNITY ORGANISATION
Defence Community Organisation offers a broad range of programs and services to help Defence families make the most of the challenges and opportunities that come with the military way of life.
If you need support, help, or advice at any time, the Defence Family Helpline operates 24-7 and is staffed by qualified human services professionals including social workers and psychologists.
Telephone 1800 624 608 any time day or night; visit the DCO website at www.defence.gov.au/dco or search “Defence Community Organisation” on social media to find out more.
DCO Wagga Wagga
Your local DCO team consists of Defence Social Worker, Keri Sullivan, Military Support Officer MAJ Bill Myers and Family Liaison Officer, Helen Marshall. The DCO office is located on the1st Floor of 76 Morgan Street – across the road from JB Hifi. We can be contacted on 02 6931 0011. We welcome you to come and visit us at DCO.
If you would like to know more about your new posting location you can also visit the following link: www.defencecommunityhub.org.au
Upcoming events – Save the date!
DCO will be hosting the following events for local Defence members and their families in the coming months:
DCO’s Welcome to Wagga Event for 2020 is being held on Saturday 15 February 2020 from 5.30-8pm at the Oasis Aquatic Cerntre, Morgan Street.
Community Circles –Held at the DCO Wagga Office – 10am-11am the first Monday of each month except January 2020. Come along to our regular meetings and share ideas with other motivated community members of how to make this posting more positive and memorable.
Walk and Talk – Held at different location in and around Wagga starting at 10 am on 3rd Monday of each month except December 2019 and January 2020.
Coffee Connections – Held at a different coffee shop every month at 10.00 – 12noon on 4th Friday of each month except December 2019 and January 2020. February 2020 has two dates: the 7th and 21st .
Call your local Family Liaison Officer, for more information on any of these events on 02 6931 0011, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or follow Defence Community Organisaion on social media.
Partner employment assistance
Defence’s Partner Employment Assistance Program (PEAP) can provide funding towards assisting ADF partners with the challenges of finding employment when the member is relocated on posting.
In each posting location, partners of ADF personnel can apply for up to $1500 funding to access the following employment-related initiatives:
- mandatory fees for professional re-registration required under legislation
- professional employment services including:
- development of a personalised resume and/or resume coaching
- identification of transferable skills
- employment options and job placement advice
- job search techniques and strategies
- development of an online employment profile
- application and selection criteria coaching
- preparation and presentation coaching for interviews
Guidelines, eligibility criteria, application form and fact sheet are available on the DCO website www.defence.gov.au/dco. If you have any questions after reading the guidelines, contact the all-hours Defence Family Helpline on 1800 624 608 or email: email@example.com for more information.
DCO’s Education Liaison Officers give education support to Defence families as they move around the country, providing information, advice, referral and specialised assistance.This includes:
- informing families about local schools and education systems and working with parents, students and teachers to manage the transition to a new, location and school,
- linking families with special education providers, resources or support agencies according to their children’s individual needs (including special needs students),
- working with schools to ensure a supportive educational environment and to raise awareness of issues facing Defence children,
- informing families about Defence support services available, including financial assistance entitlements.
Defence School Mentors (DSMs) are based within primary and secondary schools across Australia for the purpose of providing support to the children of Defence families through on-site, direct and flexible assistance to students, parents, teachers and other support services.
This may include:
- Helping new children and their families to integrate into the school and local community,
- Monitoring the social and emotional wellbeing of Defence students,
- Assisting students develop self-confidence, self-reliance and resilience,
- Referring students to services, or school and community programs that meet their needs,
- Enhancing awareness and appreciation of the unique Defence lifestyle in schools and communities, and
- Providing support to children during times of parental absence.
Local Wagga Schools with DSMs are Forest Hill Public School, Kapooka Public School, Kooringal Public School, Kooringal High School and Wagga Wagga Christian School.
Contact the all-hours Defence Family Helpline on 1800 624 608 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for further information, referral and support for ADF members and their families.